The report provides information on the status of tuna stocks as well as on bycatch and mitigation issues in tuna fisheries. It also reviews programs by Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMOs) to manage tunas and related species.
CURRENT REPORT, INTERACTIVE TOOL & INFOGRAPHICS
The full report, downloadable as a PDF, includes:
- Summary results of the most recent scientific assessment of the 23 commercial tuna species worldwide
- Assessments of the effectiveness of current management measures adopted by RFMOs
- Rankings of the 23 stocks using a consistent methodology focused on three factors: Abundance, Exploitation/Management (i.e., fishing mortality), and Environmental Impact (i.e., bycatch).
Our current Status report was published in Feb. 2018. Previous versions of the report are available by request.
Use our new interactive tool to visualize certain data from the Status report:
- View trends in tuna stock health since 2011, filtered by species and ocean location, and based on catch or stock, and on stock abundance or fishing mortality
- View the species composition of the total tuna catch — including catch percentages by fishing method — in different ocean locations, based on the most recent data
Read about the tool in our April 5, 2018, press release.
You also can download report infographics that show (1) tuna abundance and fishing mortality, by stock and by catch, and (2) distribution of stocks based on abundance ratings, since 2011.