This interactive tool is a new feature on our site. It allows you to visualize current and historical data from ISSF’s Status of the Stocks report, which scientifically assesses 23 commercial tuna stocks worldwide. Read our press release for more background on the tool.
The tool has two tabs — one for visualizing tuna stock health since 2011, and another for visualizing the current tuna catch by fishing method. You can generate a variety of customized graphics within the tool based on the parameters you choose in the checkboxes (such as “stock area”) and buttons.
On the Tableau line at the bottom of the tool, use the symbol links at the right to:
- Undo or redo your last action, or reset the dashboard
- Share the graphics you generate via email, Twitter, or Facebook
- Download graphics as PDFs or image files
- See graphics in full-screen format
As in our Status of the Stocks report, the “stock areas” in the tool represent scientifically categorized tuna-stock areas, not strict geographic regions. Before you use the tool, you may want to consult the table beneath it to see which stocks occur in which stock areas.
The table below, which you can sort by column and filter using its Search tool, shows which stock areas you should select in the tool to see data on certain tuna stocks or species.
- Selecting only “AO – Atlantic Ocean” will show data for the tuna stock(s) that have a single whole Atlantic stock.
- Selecting one individual Atlantic area, such as “AO – Atlantic Ocean – East,” will show data for the tuna stock(s) that have a specific “Eastern Atlantic” stock within the Atlantic Ocean.
- Selecting all Atlantic areas together will show data for all tuna stock(s) in the Atlantic Ocean.
Note that the first Status of the Stocks report (reporting 2011 data) did not include bluefin tuna stocks.
|EPO-BET||Bigeye tuna||Eastern Pacific Ocean|
|EPO-YFT||Yellowfin tuna||Eastern Pacific Ocean|
|EPO-SKJ||Skipjack tuna||Eastern Pacific Ocean|
|WPO-BET||Bigeye tuna||Western and Central Pacific Ocean|
|WPO-YFT||Yellowfin tuna||Western and Central Pacific Ocean|
|WPO-SKJ||Skipjack tuna||Western and Central Pacific Ocean|
|PO-ALB-N||Albacore tuna||Pacific Ocean – North|
|PO-ALB-S||Albacore tuna||Pacific Ocean – South|
|PO-PBF||Bluefin tuna||Pacific Ocean – North|
|AO-BET||Bigeye tuna||Atlantic Ocean|
|AO-YFT||Yellowfin tuna||Atlantic Ocean|
|AO-SKJ-E||Skipjack tuna||Atlantic Ocean – East|
|AO-SKJ-W||Skipjack tuna||Atlantic Ocean – West|
|AO-ALB-N||Albacore tuna||Atlantic Ocean – North|
|AO-ALB-S||Albacore tuna||Atlantic Ocean – South|
|AO-ALB-M||Albacore tuna||Atlantic Ocean – Mediterranean sea|
|AO-BFT-E||Bluefin tuna||Atlantic Ocean – East|
|AO-BFT-W||Bluefin tuna||Atlantic Ocean – West|
|IO-BET||Bigeye tuna||Indian Ocean|
|IO-YFT||Yellowfin tuna||Indian Ocean|
|IO-SKJ||Skipjack tuna||Indian Ocean|
|IO-ALB||Albacore tuna||Indian Ocean|
|SH-SBT||Bluefin tuna||Southern Hemisphere|