To assist tuna Fishery Improvement Projects (FIPs), including those focused on Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) fishery certification, ISSF offers many resources.
Our resources for fishery improvement projects include two categories of support:
- Technical services, such as consultations, workshops, and customized recommendations, including scientific and policy guidance from ISSF experts
- Online resources, including databases, reports, best-practice guides, and advocacy statements
Use our FIP Resources Finder to explore resources that relate to MSC principles and performance indicators (PIs), and see our FIPs FAQs. We encourage FIP participants and stakeholders to contact us with FIP questions or requests.
ISSF Support and the FIP Process
ISSF support is intended to complement — not replace — the assistance that other NGOs and stakeholders are providing to tuna FIPs. This graphic shows the process for FIPs aimed at MSC certification.
Whether you’re just contemplating a FIP or are well along in the process, we can support your FIP activities in many ways. Much of what we offer is relevant for handline, pole-and-line, longline, and purse seine fisheries of every scale, anywhere in the world.
ISSF is the only organization worldwide focused primarily on tuna sustainability. We have unique resources for tuna FIPs, including:
- Technical Reports and Workshop results
- Guide on non-entangling FAD designs
- Guidebooks for fishers
- RFMO best practice snapshots
- ProActive Vessel Register
- Interactive Stock Status Tool
We also offer deep scientific and policy expertise and have relationships across the seafood sustainability spectrum.
But ISSF does not fund, manage, organize, coordinate, or govern fishery improvement projects. We also do not author FIP workplans. You can find workplan templates and other useful tools, however, on FisheryProgress.org.
ISSF Resources and MSC Performance Indicators
A practical way to consider the FIP resources that ISSF offers is by the MSC Performance Indicator(s) (PIs) they relate to:
- The graphic on the left shows MSC Principles and the Performance Indicators under each. A FIP may be targeting improvement in certain PIs on the path to MSC certification.
- Our FIP Resources Finder, shown at right, is an interactive tool to help you quickly match your FIP needs, based on MSC Performance Indicators, to ISSF resources.