These “snapshots” identify best practices for sustainable tuna fishing. In detailed tables, they also compare tuna Regional Fisheries Management Organization (RFMO) progress in implementing them.
Read our companion “best-practices” technical reports on these topics.
ISSF / IPNLF Skippers' Guidebook to Pole-and-Line Fishing Best Practices
|Date Added:||July 11, 2019|
|Tags:||Best Practices, Pole and Line, Skippers Guidebook, Tuna|
ISSF and the International Pole & Line Foundation have collaborated to produce a guidebook on best practices for pole-and-line tuna skippers and vessel crew.
This is the first edition of the guidebook, which includes many photos, illustrations, and detailed tables. It covers:
- Target tuna species in pole-and-line fishing
- Tuna fishing operations, including tuna schools and fishing strategy
- Catch handling, preservation, and quality issues, including storage practices and equipment
- Baitfish species and baitfish management
- Livebait capture and utilization
The guidebook also includes information about the history of pole-and-line fishing and sustainability considerations.