To undertake and facilitate science-based initiatives for the long-term conservation and sustainable use of global tuna stocks, reducing bycatch and promoting tuna ecosystem health.
- Improve the sustainability of global tuna stocks by developing and implementing verifiable, science-based practices, commitments and international management measures that;
- Result in tuna fisheries meeting the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) standard 1 without conditions, and;
- Become the industry standard for vessel owners, traders, processors and marketers.
To achieve our mission and objectives, ISSF will:
- Cooperate with and support Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMOs) in achieving their objectives of tuna stock and ecosystem conservation;
- Vigorously advocate for the adoption and implementation of science-based management measures so that tuna stocks and their ecosystem are managed comprehensively and sustainably;
- Employ and promote sound science for attaining maximum sustainable yields of targeted tuna stocks while providing for the health and care of the marine ecosystem;
- Support certification programs that meet the 2005 eco-labeling guidelines of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
Learn more about our Areas of Focus.